Wednesday 6 January 2010

Make your own citrus vinegar for cleaning

I finally got around to making some citrus vinegar over the holidays. A nice simple recipe you just put citrus peel in a jar and cover it with white vinegar! I used lemon, lime and orange peel, which would usually just get thrown away. Plus, of course its anti-bacterial.

It needs to "brew" for a couple of weeks before straining off. I'll put it in a spray bottle to use as a surface cleaner (don't forget to dilute with water, I used about 50:50); and also try some out as fabric softener with the addition of a little essential oil (although I find that with eco-balls my clothes are really soft anyway, so its only for the scent really).

And thank you to Debs at Herbal Haven who passed on this simple recipe at a Mercian Herb Group meeting last year. :-)

Share on Facebook

2 comments:

  1. Strained this off yesterday and used it for both cleaning and in the washing machine (with some added citrus fragrance oil) - it's great! Very pleased...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been doing this for a while, but I just throw a couple citrus peels directly into my cleaning solution of 50:50 vinegar and water. Works great!

    ReplyDelete